Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sweat It Out?

I absolutely love a good sweat session because I feel that when I walk out of the gym, or up from my basement "gym", I had a great workout. But, what is actually happening when you sweat?

Some people believe that they are releasing impurities from their bodies. For example, I know some people who make it a point to have a workout the morning after drinking because they think it gets rid of the toxins. Others believe that if they are sick getting soaked with sweat is the best thing for them.

I have been in both positions...I've had nights out with a few drinks in me (who's counting?) and I have been sick to the point where I've convinced myself to try anything to feel better. But in actuality I never physically felt better after either.

From personal experience, I have found a great connection between physical activity and how I mentally cope with things. After working out in each scenario I am always happy that I made myself workout because of all the other benefits, but I am never felt "cleansed".

Here's my thought process on why. Your sweat glands are in your skin, not internal where these "toxins" are located. By sweating, you lose water weight, which in certain situations is a good thing, but those toxins are still inside. Being sick or recovering from a night after drinking is not one of those "certain situations" because your body is dehydrated already.

Soooo, bottom line, unless you downed tons of water sweating it out is not always best because it can be counter-productive. That's just my thoughts on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment