Sunday, August 19, 2012

Energy For Mommy And Son!

While my hubby and the older kiddos are away, my little Tyler gets to be a handful. I guess it's because he doesn't have extra people to interact with him and wear him down! With that said I was in dire need for a healthy and energizing dinner.

Farmer's Market Rice Bowl
-1 carrot, diced
-1/2 tomato, diced
-1/2 chopped green pepper
-1 shallot, diced
-1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
-1 clove garlic, diced
-2 tsp olive oil
-1 chicken breast
-1 cup cooked brown rice (I used leftover rice I had from the night before)
-1 tsp adobo powder

1. Slice chicken breast, horizontally, into 4 thin pieces. Place into plastic storage bag with 1 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp adodo powder. (preferably the night before so flavors can penetrate)
2. Heat pan over medium-high heat and cook chicken 4 minutes per side (let it get a nice browning on both sides then throw it in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes to finish cooking...usually comes out juicier).
3. In the same pan, add the rest of the olive oil to saute pan, cook pepper and carrot for about 5 minutes. Add tomato, shallot, spinach and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Throw rice in for a few minutes to heat through...


Here it is with the chicken (and a side of Italian Pizza Bread)...


(Italian Pizza Bread...saute some spinach, shallots, tomatos, and garlic in olive oil. Add some Morning Star meat crumbles and heat through. While that's all cooking, break out your box of Healthy Heart Bisquick and mix up 1/3 cup with about 1 tbsp water or until it makes a slightly thick batter. Mix in any herbs you desire. Pour into greased 4x8 pan or larger if you want a thinner crust. Top with sauteed mixture. Cook for aout 22 minutes at 400 degrees.)

After our yummy dinner, Tyler and I went for a walk...well, he ran and I chased after him!


I took today off from working out (Sundays are my rest day) but I still had some energy from dinner so I pumped out a few incline push-ups on my countertop. Yes, doing them this way makes them easier, but it was just part of my "active rest"!


1 comment:

  1. looks yummy! have you thought about switching out the rice for Quinoa? give you that extra bit of protein :)

    ReplyDelete