Thursday, August 9, 2012

So What It's Wheat?

First things first: one calorie = one calorie! Before I continue, let me explain that my use of the word "wheat" is interchangable with other healthy versions of naughty foods (eg sweet potatoes instead of whtie potatoes).

Now, here's my point. Wheat foods have the same or more calories as their "white" counterparts. Yes, wheat and whole grains have exponential health benefits but we're talking calories here.

If ones intent is to maintain or lose weight, you must maintain a calorie intake that matches your goal. This sounds much like common sense, but forgive me for sounding cliche, common sense isn't common!

Here's my bit of advice. Take it or leave it.

Begin to write down everything you eat (including tastes and nibbles). This sounds harder than it is because you really only have to do it for a few days. I would include maybe Friday through Monday so you're getting weekdays and weekends to see where you're going overboard. I also recommend including the times you eat and how you felt. (7am because you were following the rules to eat first thing in the morning, and then 8am because...hmmm, not sure why). This will help you face the realism that you are eating too much, too often, or both!

If you want to lost weight, you have to stick to the rule of burning more than you eat. You have to cut out/burn off 3,500 calories a week to lose 1lb! This is where eating the healthier versions of foods helps. If you eat that sweet potatoe instead of the white potatoe you won't become ravenous in another hour and have to eat again. The healthier options have more fiber, protein, and "good" carbs. Another option is still eating what you love, white potatoes in sticking with my example, but eating less and then incorporating a more water-dense food. When I eat the "bad" white potatoe, I will usually only eat about half and then have a big salad with cucumbers, celery, and cherry tomatoes on the side. This keeps me satisfied and increases my nutrient intake all while keeping calories low.

By now I think  you get my point. Sorry to make a short story long, but I've heard way too often people complain that they eat healthy and don't lose weight. Again, one calorie = one calorie...and 3,500 calories = 3,500 calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment