Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Start Small, Finish Big

This morning I intended to go for a light 3-mile run but that didn't quite happen. When I was getting ready to walk out the door my son was practically begging to go with me. Of course, I caved and got the jogging stroller out of the basement so I could take him with me.

You might think that was a positive thing because it would increase resistance and add weight to my run. Yes, that's all great but the stroller does not steer well and it kills my shoulder and back! He was saying "mommyyyyyyyyy" practically the whole time which actually made the time fly a bit. We got back to the house and I was a sweaty mess.

Instead of jumping in the shower and getting something to eat I brought my son and the stroller into my house, asked my mom (who lives with us) to watch him and went for another run by myself! I didn't have my Garmin during my run so as my husband, son and I were coming back from the beach today (we walked up and down the boardwalk too!) we drove my route and found that I had ran an ADDITIONAL 5 miles! In total it actually came out to be about 8.3 miles. I haven't ran that distance, especially on NOT-FLAT roads, in quite some time but I felt so great physically and mentally.

What's funny is that my initial goal was to run at least 3 miles, that was my absolute minimum. After accomplishing my goal and realizing I still had time and energy to push out more I took full advantage. My point is this...set attainable goals and reach further. If you initially plan for more than you are capable for you could set yourself up for failure and disappointment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment