Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1/2 and 1/2 Meatloaf

I am usually a chicken breast and turkey kind of meat-eater, but to please my family I buy 96% lean ground beef here and there. Today we had yet another busy day from early morning until now (9pm!) so I pulled the ground beef out and came up with a recipe that distracted me a bit from the fact that I was eating beef. With a love of meat-loaf, I thought what could be better! But here's how I mixed it up to make it healthier and give it tons of flavor...

1 CAN OF BLACK BEANS (drained, rinsed, and slightly smashed up)
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Carrot, Diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 Small Onion, Diced
1 Celery Stalk
1 lb 96% Lean Ground Beef
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Oats
1 egg (or 2 egg whites)


  1.  Saute carrot, garlic and onion in olive oil. After 2-3 minutes, add beans and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Then turn burner off.
  2. Mix in diced celery and pour into a bowl to let cool.
  3. Add in all other ingredients and mix well.
  4. Transfer onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Top with about 1 Tbsp of the ketchup (optional)
  5. 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes
Here's the final product...minus a nibble after I took it out of the oven! BTW, all the little ones enjoyed it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment