Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Machine Hopping

Although I am slightly ashamed to admit, I am a creature of habit. I find myself doing the same thing at the same time every day and when I try to mix it up I get a strong feeling of anxiety. For example, every night I put my protein powder and cinnamon in the blender so I can just throw in the banana, peanut butter, coffee, milk and ice to make it quicker to drink before my workout. Yes, that's right, I said BEFORE! 

Here's the problem...

I completely know that consuming protein POST-training is the best possible time to ingest it because it helps repair muscle tears leading to faster recovery and results. But this shake used to be what I had for breakfast every day long ago and even though I am now actually lifting weights (instead of being a cardio blob) when I train I find it extremely hard to bring myself to just wait to drink it afterwards. 

I did challenge myself the other day and felt great before my workout and after. I guess admitting I have a problem is the first step to recovery, right? Making it to the point where I actually faced my problem was an even better defeat! I have actually been doing it the "right way" since that day but I think about the delicious taste of my shake during my entire workout and can't wait to get to it!

ANYWAY!!! All of that hoopla that I just wrote was an example of me getting way off course. 

My mention of sticking to a schedule was to lead to me informing you of how I wake up early every morning, perform the same routine with my son and then head off to the gym by 8am. I sign him into the daycare room and head off to do my thing. Yesterday "my thing" was a major cardio sweat session on the machines followed by some killer abs. I got on the elliptical/stepper hybrid machine and put it on the highest level with an interval setting. Holy crap was that NOT EASY! When the gym creap-o got on the machine next to me I decided it was time to move to the treadmill and perform the last 15 minutes of my cardio doing sprints while on an incline. 

Needless to say, the 45 minutes on the hybrid machine (not really sure what it's called) followed by a crazy treadmill workout gave me a great sweat session. That was the first time in a long time that I did not start and finish on the same machine. I realized at that moment that I became part of the "machine hoppers" as I like to call them. The people who get on a machine then on to the next... And, at that moment, I realized I should stop shaking my head at them and huffing about their lacking workouts because I'm sure that's what they need to do to allow them to get their time in. If they can't stay on one machine for the whole time than so what, at least they are there putting in effort and getting their recommended 30+ minutes a day!

I would say to maybe TRY to stay on a machine for at least 10 minutes at a time and work your way up by including some incline, speed intervals, or a combo of the two. Helps avoid having to wipe off machine after machine! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment