Monday, September 17, 2012

Kid Friendly Breakfast Recipes

Kid-friendly healthy breakfast options. 

Last night I whipped up these Pumpkin Muffins that turned out yummy-delicious right out of the oven and were even more scrumptious warmed up today with a smear of cream cheese (not the healthiest topping, I know, but the blend of flavors is delicious!)


Here's how to make them...

1/2 c. raisins
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
10 oz. pumpkin
1/3 c. apple sauce
1/3 c. walnuts

Mix all the dry ingredients together, mix all the wet ingredients and then combine them. 
Bake 350 degrees for 30-ish minutes. 

I'm partial to left-overs but my son, like my husband, isn't a big leftovers guy. However, he did put one of these muffins away this morning! 

Here's my second great recipe of the day. 

I like to cook for the future, meaning I hate having to whip up a batch of  my "Special Pancakes" every morning (I put fruit, veggies, beans, and meat in them so I can make sure my son is always getting something healthy even if I give in later in the day and give him a bag of Cheetos!) SOOO...today I made alphabet pancakes and what did not get eaten got put in the deep freezer...

(it's not two "F's"...part of the "E" fell off!)


Here's how to make them...

1 c. Heart Healthy Bisquick Pancake Mix
1 carrot finely shredded
1/3 c. applesauce
1/2 can of white beans, drained, rinsed, and smashed up
1/2 banana finely diced
Sprinkle of cinnamon

Mix all ingredients. Pour batter on hot griddle, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. If you are going to freeze them like I did, place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie tray, put pancakes on top and let cool completely. Place tray in freezer. Once pancakes are frozen through, removed and put in zip top bag. Enjoy again, and again, and again! 

BTW, although I made these for my son I couldn't help but try them. I took a few bites and they were delish! Maybe add a scoop of protein instead of the beans to make an adult version!

No comments:

Post a Comment