Sunday, September 9, 2012

Every Little Bit Counts

Wow! What a beautiful day! This morning I made my breakfast shake, got my little guy dressed and ready for the day, packed my lunch and headed out the door to school. (I go full-time on weekends). Yesterday was rainy and muggy so walking outside today at 7am to a slight brisk in the air was refreshing. On my lunch break I went out to my car to get my food and it was still beyond gorgeous weather so I sat in my car with my windows down and ate my lunch. After finishing up my whole grain pasta, sausage (I have a weakness for "bad" savory stuff...but only give in to a little bit here and there), Brussels sprouts and green tea I still had a bunch of time until I had to be back to class so I took advantage and went for a short walk.


Although this picture gives a glimpse of my serene walk there's much more you cannot experience simply from looking at it. As I walked down the shaded sidewalk I heard the most amazing sounds that I had never heard driving this same route. I could hear every creature that was out. Not in a creepy-crawly way (I hate bugs!) but in a melodic way. The chirping of the birds, buzzing of the bees, and humming of whatever other creatures were out harmonized so beautifully together. It became energizing and calming at the same time.

The best part of my walk came after going back into my classroom. At least four people asked me why I was walking. When I responded that I couldn't help but take those few minutes to get out in the fresh air and get my blood flowing rather than continue to sit in the class, I was pleasantly surprised that some responded they should (and are going to) do the same thing. One guy told me that he always sits around and that he is going to start walking instead of sitting in front of the t.v. so much. Yes, I know it doesn't sound like a huge life-changing moment, but it has the potential. I am excited for the next time I have class so I can find out if he has actually taken the initiative to start walking instead laying around in his "down time".

No comments:

Post a Comment