Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Foodie Confession & Fall Surprise Mac 'N Cheese

I have somewhat of a reputation of eating extremely healthy, or at least I did in recent years. I admit that I was pretty strict with what I ate but only because of how healthy food made me feel. I could wake up at the crack of dawn, go to work, hit the gym late at night, go out with friends and wake up the next day filled with energy because I had a diet that focused on providing "FUEL" not "FUN"...meaning I ate to have energy to live, I didn't live to eat. I fought off the cravings for chocolate, salt-traps and fried food for a very long time. 

After I met and married my hubby I noticed that I became VERY relaxed with my diet! I found that I almost had to justify myself and my eating habits because everyone else around was always having something else or judging me (at least it felt that way sometimes) for being very particular. 

Well, prior to hitting my 28th birthday a couple months ago I noticed that I have been lagging A LOT! I sat down last night and reflected on things, times and amounts of food that I have been eating. I can tell you that I, 100%, believe that my lack of energy is a direct result of how I have been eating. It's a little ridiculous!

Don't get me wrong, I eat a ton of healthy things all day long. But, for some reason, I kept talking myself into eating another snack at night that wasn't always the best for my body or health... Also, I found myself eating heavier dinners and adding more salt than usual. NOT GOOD!

When time to make dinner came around I slapped myself in the face and decided to get back on track. I put a TON of VEGGIES in my Mac 'N Cheese and scratched most of the salt! I know, I know I just complained about eating bad and then I tell you I made Mac 'N Cheese! I promise that the name disguises a very healthy meal...

-- Cook about 2 cups WHOLE GRAIN pasta (al dente according to directions), drain and set aside.
-- Dice about 2 cups of CABBAGE, steam until tender and set aside.
-- Combine 1- 1.5 cups of pureed PUMPKIN, 3/4 - 1 cup of SKIM MILK, 1 clove minced GARLIC, 1 Tbsp mustard, 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese, Salt & Pepper (to taste).
-- Cook above ingredients over low until combined and heated through.
--Mix ALL ingredients together, pour into sprayed casserole dish, top with PANKO CRUMBS and 1 tsp EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL. 

Ta Da...


Of course I had to have more than this for dinner so I made some LIMA BEANS and ate CHICKEN BREAST from the chicken I made in my Crock Pot.


DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment