Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Simple Compliment Is All Some Need...

Upfront, let me say that today's post is not intended to toot my own horn, so to speak.

The days I meet with a client in the morning get a little busier for me because my own workout is on a tighter timeline. Yesterday, to make it even worse, when I got to the gym it was in total disarray. They have been remodeling for a while but I guess they went for TOTAL DESTRUCTION TUESDAY without giving warning!

At first, naturally, I got frustrated by having to search for every piece of equipment. But then I looked at my hectic scurrying as a positive because it kept my heart rate up running from machine to machine and side to side of the gym! ;)

When I was done my awesome workout I grabbed my son from the daycare room, headed home to make him a snack and a sippy and a protein shake for me. I had to prioritize getting something to eat to support my exercise efforts (meaning I didn't get a shower...EWW!) I compromised a "sorta-shower" by reminding myself that I would be home fairly soon.

When I got to my clients house I was motivated on the outside and still a little frantic on the inside. None-the-less, I had a great session planned and we pushed through it as if nothing else in the world mattered. 

How do I tie the title of this post to this story? Well, at just about the end of the session my client told me that I was "the best trainer she's ever had". She said that "not only do you know what you're doing, you know exactly what kind of workout a woman needs and it's so easy to understand and follow you". She told me that I'm her eighth trainer (she couldn't find a good one) and that she doesn't want me to ever move away. 

Secretly, I love getting compliments (who doesn't, right?) I noticed that as she continued giving me praise I stood up a little taller and held my head a little higher. To her face I grinned and politely thanked her...even though I wanted to say THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH and give her a big hug!

During the rest of my day, despite continued chaos, I kept her comments in the back of my mind and it made me feel good ALL DAY. I had a little extra PEP IN MY STEP to enthusiastically accomplish everything else I needed to do. 

My point is that if a thought such as "her hair looks good", "I love those shoes", "she can run so fast" or whatever else crosses your mind about someone else SAY IT AND DON'T JUST THINK IT!!! A little love can go a long way and brighten someone's day. 

THANK YOU C.S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment