Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Don't Let FOOD Take Over Your Life

Have you ever noticed how long it took to eat a candy bar, a bag of chips, or that burger and fries from the drive-through? I can bet you that it wasn't very long! 

How about how long it took after eating that junk that you became hungry again? I can bet you that it wasn't very long!

As a person that steers clear of that stuff 99% of that time (and when I do "indulge" I will have a couple bites or less!) I cannot imagine how some people live eating food that is soaked in grease, is filled with preservatives and/or comes in a bag!

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on anyone, I just literally cannot comprehend how they survive on that kind of food and feel satisfied and energized. 

The times that I do eat junk I rarely feel a sense of satisfaction. As a matter of fact, the times when I feel like I have a craving and indulge in it I find myself wondering why I ever had a craving in the first place because the "treat" or "cheat" was not fulfilling. 

I am a very active person in all aspects of my life, gym/work/home, so I'm sure that those feelings of I HAVE TO HAVE CHIPS NOW is because I sometimes do not fuel myself properly. Meaning, I do not eat ENOUGH to energize me for my activity level. 

So what if you are already set in your ways and ADDICTED to crappy food? It may not be easy, but the best way is to take what you crave the absolute most and cut it out of your life! Do not try to wean yourself because as you continue to give yourself that taste of whatever it is, you are always going to want it and will not be able to phase it out of your life. 

My suggestion to make it a little easier is this: if you are an ice cream addict, for example, throw whatever you have in your freezer away and replace it with something like 0% Fruit-On-The-Bottom Greek Yogurt. Two things here that help you take control:

1. You are making the decision to get rid of it (rather than letting yourself finish it off)

2. You are not completely depriving yourself of whatever it is you crave. You probably like ice cream because it's cold, creamy and sweet. Well, if you take the Greek yogurt I mentioned and put it in the freezer for a bit you will get very similar results (don't buy frozen yogurt because that's filled with sugar!)

**TIP: If you can avoid eating the fruit on the bottom I highly recommend it. The yogurt still gets the flavor of the fruit without even having to mix it. If you want more texture mix in some fresh or frozen berries and discard of the sugary fruit on the bottom. 

Each time you eat these things that you THINK you want you are screwing up any potential results from your workouts. YOU are the only one that can make YOU healthier. I small step at a time...YOU CAN DO IT!

Best of Health,
Amanda
www.healthyathomept.com
www.healthyathomept.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment