Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Personal Workout Routine

I am a woman of habit in most aspects of my life. I like to keep a routine so that I can feel like I have some control of what happens and when. I wake up about the same time every morning, prepare my sons breakfast then mine, head to the gym by a certain time, etc. I do this because I have other responsibilities that have to occur at certain times later in the day. If I do not schedule my mornings out and follow them then I potentially will not get a workout in which, I know, will lead to me feeling frazzled and fatigued!

Although my schedule is planned out so that each morning is like ground-hog day, my WORKOUT schedule is nothing of the sort!

I mix up my session so much that I rarely do the same thing twice in a row. This works great for someone trying to lose or maintain weight, wants to keep their metabolism revved, or someone who just needs continuous challenge and something to keep them interested. I get bored easily so I just cannot do the same 'ol thing day in and day out!

Everyone is different and has their own thing that works for them. Right now, this is what works for me. I was a "cardio queen" before and did 1+ hours of cardio each day!!! Terrible idea! That was quite some time ago...I learned a couple years ago how bad of an idea that was for me but it was a damn hard routine to break! I love that I have relaxed on cardio (I still tear it up on cardio days) because I have opened up time and energy to bring weight training into my gym time which is beyond AMAZING! 

To ensure I am hitting each muscle group, getting a sufficient amount of cardio (but not too much), I break out what I am going to do by the day of the week (see below).

WEEK 1
Mon- Cardio, Abs, and assisted Pull-ups 
Tues- Upper body
Wed- Cardio, Abs, and assisted Pull-ups
Thurs- Lower body
Fri- Cardio, Abs, and assisted Pull-ups
Sat- Upper body
Sun- Off or Yoga

Since I did Upper/Lower/Upper on Tues/Thurs/Sat on WEEK 1 I will switch that to Lower/Upper/Lower the next and so forth...


After breaking my week up like you see above, I go in the gym with a starting plan and go from there! Fortunately, I know the equipment in the gym, I know what works which muscles, I know how to superset, I know how to keep my heart-rate up, I know how to be efficient by using every single minute I have, I know how to adapt exercises to meet what I want and need and I know how to modify exercises if equipment and space are limited. Because of all that going into the gym without a printed out plan works great for me, but I wouldn't suggest it for everyone! 

TODAY
It was an "Upper Body" day for me. On Saturdays I usually keep my workout at home in my basement gym and because of the snow TODAY WAS ONE OF THOSE DAYS! Here's what today's session consisted of:

10 x 36" Box Jumps
20 x Push-Ups w/Feet on Stability Ball
20 x Tri-cep Dips on Bench w/Feet on Stability Ball
~Complete 3 times

Kettle-bell Swing
Lat Raises
Hammer-curl to Arnold Press
~ Complete 3 times

Medicine Ball Slam
Decline Chest Presses
Single-Arm Row
~Complete 3 times

Diamond Push-ups
Chest Flys on Stability Ball
Tri-cep kickbacks
~Complete 3 times

Finish the hour off with a 15-minute 10% incline walk

The weight you use and rep count will be determined off of your current fitness level. I didn't go any heavier than 35 lbs on some of the exercises but for someone who has never picked up weights or someone who has minimal experience I would suggest starting way lower to first get a grasp on proper form. 

Try out this routine for yourself, adapt it to meet your needs, or just use this post as motivation to do something! Whatever action you take is likely going to burn more calories and build more muscle than continuing to sit here at your computer and read more posts!

In Good Health,
Amanda
www.healthyathomept.com



No comments:

Post a Comment