Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Little INDEPENDENCE Can Lead To A Lot Of CONFIDENCE

I wrote this post up a few days ago while I was on my way back home to NJ from Cali. I flew out of Santa Barbara, CA 1 1/2 hours to Phoenix, AZ to experience a 1 1/2 hour delay. The delay followed by another 5 hour flight to Newark, NJ gave me A LOT of thinking and writing time! It also offered much time for things to go wrong.

The delay wasn't too bad and the screaming kid directly behind me was understandable (and more frustrating for the poor mother traveling alone with her). But once the extreme turbulence hit (and scared the shit out of me) it went downhill! Once that calmed down the flight attendant took my drink order and retrieved my HOT TEA...do you see where I am going with this? Not even 1 minute after getting my drink, and only after taking 1 sip, I spilled the steaming hot tea all over my legs!!!

Holy shit did that hurt!? I had to get a bag of ice and go sit in the bathroom because my legs were red, blotchy and burning! But let me back up a bit so I can tie my story to the point of my post. 

My husband and I were traveling together but did not get seated next to each other because our booking got jacked up.

Back to my story...

As soon as I burnt myself I immediately looked for my hubby for help (and for someone to whine to). He was in his own little world with his headphones on watching a movie and facing away from the chaos. I took care of myself and survived my traumatic and humiliating experience (despite the flight attendant suggesting she give me a blanket to wrap around myself as I pulled my pants down to put ice directly on my legs...BTW, I OPTED AGAINST HER SUGGESTION!)

All of this made me realize that I had, at some point in the last couple of years, given up too much of my independence. As soon as something went wrong I looked for someone else to fix it and make it better. I didn't like that feeling. I love knowing my hubby will be there for real life challenges but I did not like letting myself feel like I needed him (or anyone) to take care of my petty problems. 

I'm a big girl and can handle myself. Keeping your independence in life can greatly attribute to having confidence in life...and in the gym. That little incident put me back on track and I have realized since then that I have toughened-up my workouts a bit. Make sure you always keep your big girl pants on so you can handle things that go wrong without having to always have someone to lean on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment