Friday, September 6, 2013

Warm Pasta Salad...With Kale And Bacon! YUM!

I bought Kale for the FIRST TIME ever (aside from a frozen blob that I broke up and put into shakes). I've always wanted to try it, but since it was unfamiliar to me I have been hesitant. Well, I put my big girl pants on yesterday and purchased a bag of fresh Kale.

My husband had requested my homemade chicken wings for dinner in celebration of the beginning of the 2013 NFL season, so I made a batch just for him. I sometimes support his less-than-healthy decisions, but I love him too much to let him just eat junk so I whipped up a pasta salad filled with Kale, Celery, Apples and Green Onions (and a little bit of bacon). 

Cook about 1/4 of a box of veggie box-tie pasta as directed on box. Drain, and set aside.

Rough-chop 1 or 2 pieces of low-sodium bacon, sauté until crispy. Remove from pan and place on a napkin or brown bag to drain. Pour drippings out but leave a coating on the bottom of the pan.

Add about 3 big handfuls of Kale into the pan with a splash of apple cider vinegar and water. Allow it to cook down for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, dice 1/2 an apple (I used Braeburn) and add it to the pan. Cook together for about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Turn off the heat.

Add olive oil, celery and green onion to hot pan. Stir, scraping bits off the bottom. Transfer to serving bowl and ENJOY!



Ingredients:
3 big handfuls of Kale
1-2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/4 cup Celery Hearts, sliced
1 Green Onion, sliced
1/2 Braeburn Apple, diced
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Apple cider vinegar
Water

Best of Health,
Amanda Chubb
www.healthyathomept.com
www.facebook.com/healthyathomept

No comments:

Post a Comment